Tuesday, July 15, 2008

What have I managed to get myself into?

So... I've discovered that I find it easier to write after a drink or two. Getting utterly bombed first is something I've yet to experience (and would undoubtedly produce some interesting results), but a glass of wine takes the edge off the inner critic and seems to bring my inspiration closer to the surface. It kind of reminds me of the Bird by Bird point about how we don't censor our dreams - maybe tipsiness is the closest we can get to that dreaming state while still awake?

Regardless, this doesn't bode well for my liver. Or, you know, my job, personal relationships, etc... particularly since I bit the bullet and signed up for NaNoWriMo in November. What was I thinking?

2 comments:

Becky said...

I say go for it, the drink that is.
Just make sure at some point that you re-read it when you are sober
;)

Anyone who has ever learned a language would probably say the same thing....a drink or two will loosen the inhibitions and soon freely flows the tongue.

Anil P said...

And many a writer in fact took to it to derive inspiration and flow, and I believe it worked for them.