just wanted to say hi ;)
I have never ready any of Anne Lamott's work. "Bird by Bird" is very interesting for a manual. I was immediately struck by her often very novel choice of words and quite unusual and very effective analogies. She seems to be very creative and has an individual style that is very appealing to me. And the humor is great.
So, I decided to get her bestseller "Crooked Little Heart." I've been reading it and reflecting on how it displays the points she makes in Bird. I really like the realism, and the sensual mood. And there are just some fabulous descriptions like..."Redwoods rose straight as sentries all along the low hills that framed the river, behind and above every bend, row after row in both directions, like mirrors full of trees reflecting mirrors full of trees."
I feel like I agree with and comprehend her ideas in Bird as to what good writing is. And reading Crooked I feel somewhat in awe, and I am reveling in being in the thick of this wondrous thing known to the outside world as words on paper.
Another thing, for a writer to get me interested in the world of teen tennis tournaments is quite an accomplishment as I am terribly anti-sport. (sorry, Kai.)
Have others read Crooked and enjoyed it or not?
Has anyone read "The Little Friend" by Donna Tartt? It also combines a spectacular realism with unusual analogies and details.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment