Monday, June 16, 2008

Lions and Pirates and Bears, Oh My

"Be careless, reckless! Be a lion, be a pirate, when you write." --Brenda Ueland


Do you follow rules? When we were young, the adults told us to be nice, to play fair, not to bite our friends. Now adults, we wear watches, stop at the yellow light, haul the recycling to the curb. We are good people. So, when we sit down to write, we are careful. We spell check. We use complete sentences. But writing, good writing, is messy. I mean: muddy, gooey, slimy, sticky messy. Writing will leave ink marks on the upholstery, it will scratch the wood. It will not always be good: That's OK.


This week, meet your messy inner writer--play with your words. Fling mashed potatoes on the wall. Disobey. Be a lion, a pirate. Here's a pirate activity: Steal a line from a poem. Use it as a jumping off point for your own piece--you can use it as a title, a line inside your poem, or an epigraph.

Share your poem here, if you like.

4 comments:

Erin said...

Hi Kate! I was able to sign into Blogger because I have a gmail address, but I'm not sure that others who don't will be able to do the same. Just a heads up. :)

Kate said...

Thanks, Erin. I just invited everyone to be authors on the blog and I'm hoping that they will be able to view it then. Er, we'll see!

Line said...

Ok, here I am! It took me a little bit to figure it out, but I made it eventually. I'm looking forward to seeing how this will develop!
- Caroline

Melissa said...

I really enjoyed the Brenda Ueland book. Thanks for sharing that quote